Sunday, June 22, 2014

How many followers do YOU have?!





A few weeks ago as we were greeting at church, I observed something very interesting. The door at which we stand has access to an escalator. Our church offers many multi-cultural services on any given Sunday. The door we greet at is the primary entrance for one of the Asian services. The folks come in and usually head up the escalator to their service. Being a greeter is really fun and quite easy, all you do is smile and welcome each person as they come into the building. We have a mixture of folks that come through our doors. Some are headed to up the escalator while others are heading to the main auditorium for service in English.

Most of the time, when folks come in they know where they are going and what to expect. This particular evening we greeted a group of international members as they were on the way up the escalator. Right behind them was a group of American guys who were oblivious to the fact they were on an escalator, let alone headed to a service where the language spoken they wouldn't even begin to understand! We tried to get their attention to let them know they were headed the wrong way but they were so distracted with their conversation they didn't hear us.


In the days following, I began to think of specific times I  followed someone but it was to a destination I hadn't intended to go. Like the time I was on the highway behind a dump truck. I never once thought about going around it because I was so focused on the dump truck.
I found myself barreling down the road to another area of town right behind that truck! How may times do we just "go with the flow" when it's not the direction God has planned for us? Sometimes we are distracted like those guys on the escalator, sometimes we are just not thinking about where it is we are really going -  like I was behind that dump truck! 

The truth is, God has a plan / path for each of our lives. We have to stay focused and diligent and follow His plan. In the book of Jeremiah chapter 29:11 God says: "For I know the plans (path) I have for you , Plans (path) for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope." He says to call on Him and He will show great and mighty things! (Jer. 33:3)

Make a decision today to stay alert and focused so you will be a fully devoted follower of Jesus!!

No comments:

Blog Archive