Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pity or Compassion?

Today at church I was doing my usual "meet & greet" before service. I love this time because I get to meet new friends as well as greet those I've built relationships with over the past few months. I went to a friend shook her hand and noticed she obviously wasn't feeling well. My first reaction was "I should pray for her," so I did. 



Jesus Heals a Man with Leprosy

A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. “If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,” he said.

Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!”Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed. (Mark 1:40-42 NLT) 
Jesus was moved with compassion not pity. Pity is where you feel sorry for someone's circumstance but don't really do anything to help. On the other hand, compassion is being motivated to do whatever it takes to help. We see many places in the scriptures where God was motivated by compassion for us! He sent Jesus to rescue us from an eternity without Him, as well as live life in abundance here on earth.
This morning it would've been real easy to just greet my friend and go about my usual thing. But compassion rose up inside me to do something more than just feel sorry for her. Ever notice when you decide to allow The Holy Spirit to use you, it's rarely convenient? I mean really, Jesus could've said "Hey thanks for begging me but I gotta get outta here before they kill me!" "Oh, and by the way, that leprosy thing, sorry you lost that toe over there!" Nope not Jesus! He was moved with compassion to heal that guy, willing to do whatever it took to heal him.
Today as you go thru your routine of life be sensitive to those around you, allow God to use you to touch others with His compassion. Don't just pass on by, get out of your box and help someone be moved with compassion!

No comments:

Blog Archive