Monday, August 29, 2011

The Student...

As you can imagine, being around middle school aged kids affords me many opportunities for, let's just say "different" experiences. For example their is one student who we will call "Student" who sometimes comes to me with these totally off the wall comments. 


Student: "So, janitor whats your name?"
Me: "It's Tab, whats yours?"
Student: "Not telling you!"
Me: "OK!"


Well after a few weeks of trying to get this person to call me by my name instead of "Janitor," I finally resolved to address the kid as "Student." That seemed to work out ok for awhile, but when I said something like, "hey Student quit throwing grapes," every kid that heard my voice got a real nervous look on their face!


Student: Janitor, "It's sad that you have to leave this job and go to your other job."
Me: "Huh?" "Other job?" "What are you talking about?" "What other job?"
Student: "Well you know, janitors don't make enough money so they have 2 or 3 jobs."
Me: Laughing."Oh really?"
Student: "Yep."
Me: "Well I have a wife and kids that I can't wait to get home to everyday - and no I only have this job."


Ok, I can understand that train of thought, but I'm thinkin' man, Student's parent's are really playin' "the get good grades in school. You dont want to be a janitor do you?" card - ALOT.


Student: "Hey Janitor, do you like your job?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Student: "You know, cleaning toilets, mopping up puke, and stuff like that?"
Me: "Nah not so much. I just leave that for the night crew." - Laughing!


Really my job is to encourage, bless, and protect the kids The Lord has placed in my care. The janitorial stuff is just what I have to do while kids are in class. Haha!! 

And for the record, we now address each other by name.






I'm in the process of changing how everyone perceives a janitor. I'm not old, I don't walk funny, I'm not bald, and I don't smell like cleaning supplies, I don't wear a blue uniform either! I do not hide out in my office waiting for the next "puke call." I enjoy interacting with the kids and staff! So the next time you think of a janitor think progressive, young, funny and just plain COOL!!







No comments:

Blog Archive